Following the major earthquake that struck the North Canterbury region on November 14, 2016, Enterprise North Canterbury has compiled the following information aimed at informing and assisting local businesses during this difficult time. Check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more.
There are several organisations offering support post-quake. If you are a business that has been affected by the quakes and cannot find the support you require please contact us in the first instance and we will point you in the right direction.
For a breakdown of financial assistance and support packages available, take a look at this support document from the New Zealand Government >>
Or read on for specific contact information:
Financial and Business Help
- Earthquake Support Subsidy
Tel: 0800 779 997
This government-provided subsidy means you can keep your staff on and get $500 per full time staff member and $300 per part time staff member. This includes you – you are considered an employee of your business for this purpose. This is to help you keep staff on board in the short term until things turn around again. If you are outside the designated areas for this fund contact Miles Dalton at Enterprise North Canterbury to discuss your options.
- Inland Revenue
Tel: 0800 473 566
If you are concerned about missing filing dates (GST, PAYE) and other tax issues affected by the quakes, get in touch with the IRD, they are taking a flexible and realistic approach.
Health and Wellbeing Assistance
- Earthquake Support Line
Tel: 0800 777 846
If you are feeling overwhelmed and have emotional concerns then this 24/7 support line is being run by the National Telehealth Service.
- Don’t make hasty decisions yet: Don’t shut down your business, don’t lay off staff; Discuss options with your insurance company; Look at the government help that is coming through and give yourself time to work from a logical base rather than an emotional base. Once you are in a calmer, less reactive space then you will be able to make more reasoned decisions.
- Don’t stop trading – if you stop trading it may affect your insurance. Talk to your insurance company.
- If you have had to stop trading due to damage or inspections, then get hold of your insurance company before you open the doors again. Opening without their OK may affect what you can get.
- Be gentle with yourself. Do the little things that keep you centred. This is a stressful time and you need to look after yourself and your family.
- Look after your staff . Be understanding that some people cope better than others. Do little, special things for them. It really is the small things that make a big difference.
Key Business Considerations
Cashflow is Key
- Contact IRD – you may be able to defer payments (GST, PAYE etc). They are taking flexible and realistic approaches. 0800 473 566
- Talk to your bank manager – ensure they’re aware of the situation. They may be able to assist with low / no interest.
- Get in touch with suppliers – delay payment if possible, and cancel / postpone stock orders.
- Check and understand your lease agreements - get in touch with your landlord.
- Understand your obligations around paying staff – The Chamber is here to help: 0800 50 50 96
- Fully check and understand your insurance cover – exactly what this means, including your Business Interruption Insurance. Opening even for a short period may compromise your eligibility.
Communication with Staff
- Keep it positive - provide reassurance and be empathetic.
- Your wellbeing is key – look after yourself too and don’t be afraid to access support.
- Understand every individual is different and encourage them to seek support. The Earthquake Support Line is 0800 777 846
NEED SOME HELP?
If your business has been affected by the earthquakes and you cannot find the support you require or don't know where to start, please contact Michele Wilson, Business Recovery Coordinator at Enterprise North Canterbury. Michele can discuss your needs with you and point you in the right direction.
Email Michele: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Michele: 027 266 6421