Information for all entrants in the 2020 North Canterbury Business Awards can be found below including entry criteria, submitting your entry, judging and confidentiality information and tips for entering. If you have any further questions or require any assistance with your entry please contact Guy Graham at Enterprise North Canterbury.
Criteria for Entry
- You must be a North Canterbury Business (or a North Canterbury based not-for-profit - see below). This means that:
• You must have your centre of operations or headquarters in the Waimakariri or Hurunui District.
• If you are a franchise or local agent of a larger operation, you must have a high level of responsibility at the local level and operate separately. e.g. market your own business, set your own targets, control your own accounts, appoint your own staff, and the person in charge of the local business should be located in North Canterbury.
• If you are a contractor to a larger organisation you must be independent and free to work for other organisations if you choose to do so, including competitors.
- Not-for-profit organisations are also able to enter, but you must be able to demonstrate that you operate in a business-like manner.
- You must have been trading for a minimum of one year (and a maximum of three years if you are applying for the Emerging Business Award).
- You must disclose any issues that may compromise the integrity of the awards or may cause the business to discontinue in the next year. Issues may include legal action, law changes, possible loss of funding or other risks.
- You agree to Enterprise North Canterbury profiling your business as part of the business awards. This will include photos and your logo that you will provide and may include written, recorded or filmed interviews.
- Each business may only enter under one category. However, all successful entrants may choose to enter the People’s Choice Award and all successful commercial entrants are in the running to win the Supreme Award.
- Winners of the Supreme Award cannot enter the next two North Canterbury Business Awards (e.g. if you were the Supreme Award winner in 2016 you cannot enter the 2018 or the 2020 awards).
- Any business that has won a category award at two consecutive Business Awards cannot enter the next two North Canterbury Business Awards. (E.g. if you won a category award in 2016 and another in 2018 you cannot enter the 2020 or 2022 Business Awards).
- You agree that the judges’ decision is final and that no correspondence will be entered into.
- ENC reserves the right to accept or decline any application to ensure that the overall objectives and standards of the North Canterbury Business Awards are maintained.
Submitting your Entry
- Entries can be made through the online application form only. Emailed or paper applications will not be accepted unless pre-arranged with Guy Graham at Enterprise North Canterbury.
- You must prepare and attach at least two publicity photos and a logo as separate jpegs (300 dpi). These must be attached as part of your entry.
- Each successful entrant will have an opportunity to talk through their application with the judges and to clarify any questions the judges may have.
To discuss further please contact Guy Graham at Enterprise North Canterbury.
Tips for Entering
- Carefully review the categories and select which one best applies to your business.
- Even after you submit your entry you can return and continue to make changes.
- Submissions close on 19 June, 2020. After this date no further edits or submissions will be accepted.
- You do not need to fill in the online entry form all at once. Feel free to save as you go, to print out and review and to come back and make changes.
- Read through each tab of the entry form before answering any questions. That will give you an idea of what questions are coming up and help you to tell your story better.
- Feel free to contact Guy Graham, Enterprise North Canterbury Business Growth Advisor, for review, discussion or feedback at any stage of your entry. The judges are independent of Enterprise North Canterbury so while Guy's comments may be useful to you, he does not influence the judges in any way.
- Use the entry process as a chance to highlight what is amazing about your business.
- Do not include web links unless absolutely necessary. Try and include all relevant information within the application.
- The form provides a lot of spaces to upload supporting information. We do not expect you to use them all, and some businesses may use very few.
- Brevity is appreciated, but make sure you give enough information for the judges to understand your business.
- Don’t assume that the judges know anything about your business; give enough information that they can form a good understanding of what you do.
- Don’t use industry jargon or information that requires specialist knowledge to understand.
- Make sure that you answer the question asked; entrants often tell the judges a lot without actually addressing what they wanted to know.
Confidentiality and Judging Process
- Applicants are not expected to provide or reveal proprietary information regarding products, processes or services.
- All awards entry forms and documentation are treated as confidential by the organising team and judges. All judges and the organising team sign non-disclosure agreements.
- Judges are asked to declare any conflicts of interest, and alternative judging arrangements will be made if necessary.
- Judges will be available to meet with qualifying entrants. At that time entrants may be asked to show evidence to support any written claims made in the awards entry form and may be asked to demonstrate that the organisation/business is financially sound.
- Judging scores remains confidential to judges and to Enterprise North Canterbury. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the outcome of the awards until the awards have concluded.
For more information on the North Canterbury Business Awards or your entry, please contact Guy Graham at Enterprise North Canterbury.
With thanks to our 2020 North Canterbury Business Awards Sponsors: